Motivational Tips and Questions
by Dorene Lehavi, Ph.D.: Motivational Article
As you know, I write, coach and do seminars on helping people find their passion and build their lives around doing what they love. I know one of the big challenges in the process is to stay motivated, and the secret to staying motivated is to continually check in with yourself and clarify where you are.
10 tips to keep you on track:
- Shake things up. Change your scenery. Go somewhere and do something different.
- Engage in a confidante who will help be your sounding board.
- Keep a journal of your experiences, goals and dreams.
- Remember to keep a sense of adventure.
- Have fun, freedom and meaning in all you do.
- Enjoy our physical surroundings.
- Be a leader, a mentor.
- Be a follower, have mentors.
- Enjoy the camaraderie of your peers, colleagues, clients.
- Live your passion every day.
10 questions to help you gauge your motivation:
- Is your lack of motivation short-term or is it deeper than that?
- Are you part of a team that makes you feel good?
- Are you working in isolation? Is that good or bad for you?
- What are the details of your daily tasks you most enjoy and how can you incorporate more of those into your life?
- What are the details of your daily tasks that you hate and how can you do less of those?
- Can you end each day by envisioning the positive outcome of your work and the successes, even the smallest ones?
- Do you surround yourself with uplifting people?
- Do you practice good self-care techniques?
- Can you see the long-term rewards of what you're doing?
- Are you doing something each day that moves you toward your goal?
Once you've answered these questions for yourself, you'll be able to target where you're blocked. If you see a trend, for example, tasks that drain you or people who drain your energy on a consistent basis, you'll understand why you're being held back from doing what you love. Then you can take the necessary steps to rectify the situation. If you need to speak to your boss, a friend, your spouse or a coach, do so.
Don't forget to reward yourself. On a daily basis, do what my daughter did when she was in grade school; she kept a pile of jelly beans on her desk and when she completed a task, she'd have one. Replace one jelly bean with a ton of them or better yet, identify some things more exciting for you than jelly beans and make sure you have or do some of whatever it is every day.
If you'd like to find out more about how motivated you are, I invite you to answer the questions in a small exercise written by a performance-improvement trainer and evaluate your motivational status.
The journey of self-discovery is fascinating because you are so much more than you think you are. You can find more exercises to guide you in your journey in my e-guidebook, Stop Doing What You Hate... Start Doing What You Love which is available on my website.
The journey of self discovery is fascinating because you are so much more than you think you are. You can find more exercises to help you in your journey in my guidebook which is available on my web site.
Article Publishing Guidelines:
These articles are the property of Dr. Dorene Lehavi. They may be freely reproduced electronically or in print, provided that they are published as written and include the following contact information.
About the author: Dorene Lehavi, Ph.D. is principal of Next Level Business and Professional Coaching. She coaches Professionals and Business Partners and teaches teleclasses on techniques to break through barriers to the next level. Dr. Lehavi offers a complimentary coaching session so you can experience how coaching can work for you. Contact Dr. Lehavi at DL@CoachingforYourNextLevel.com, or on the web at www.coachingforyournextlevel.com.
Copyright © Dr. Dorene Lehavi, PhD. All Rights Reserved.
Find the KEY to having the LIFE you WANT
and reach your TRUE purpose
in only 21 days!
Learn How to EXPRESS your values &
WHO YOU REALLY ARE!
Dr. Dorene Lehavi has more than 25 years experience as a professional assisting clients to reach their "Next Level." She holds a Master's degree from Hunter College and a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California.
Dorene Lehavi Articles
Did you know that 70% of business partnerships are doomed to fail?
by Dorene Lehavi