Are you a creative person, who enjoys writing, but you're not sure if you should attempt making a career of it? Do you already have a job in the writing field? Are you considering breaking out on your own?
The benefits of working from home don't require a rocket scientist, but it took a NASA spacecraft designer named Jack Nilles to start convincing employers of the benefits of hiring "teleworkers" (his books include 1998's Managing Telework: Strategies for Managing the Virtual Workforce).
Despite his efforts (Nilles and others) to show employers that telecommuting is good for productivity as well as the environment (having employees work from a remote location, such as home), companies have not embraced telecommuting as enthusiastically as workers have.
If you have a good job, whatever field it may be (a job that can be mobile), and commuting is an issue for you, one option would be to discuss it with your boss. Maybe you can find a compromise and continue your work at home.
If you've never written more than a few paragraphs, but have always dreamed of writing, the following guides will help you learn more about the field of your choice.
Read How to Create a Dream Job for more ideas.
- BECOME A BOOK EDITOR -- The Book Lover's Dream Job -- by Jodi L. Brandon, a professional writer and editor.This guide offers expert advice to help you become an editor of adult fiction or non-fiction. Her advice can save you many hours of research, help you avoid some common mistakes, and give you the information you need to break into book editing.(Book Editor guide sample)
- BECOME A CHILDREN'S BOOK AUTHOR -- Jeannie Harmon and Sheila Seifert are the authors of this wonderful guide to insider information and practical advice you need to achieve your dream of becoming a published children's book author. (Children's Author article)
- BECOME AN ADVERTISING COPYWRITER -- Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a degree to become a copywriter. Copywriting is a high paying fun job that lets you see the results of your creativity - on television, in magazines, on the radio, and elsewhere.
- BECOME A FOOD WRITER / CRITIC -- Combine your love of food and writing to earn a living ... or as much as a six figure annual income! In this guide, you will discover how to get started and succeed in this exciting career. (Food Writer guide sample.)
- BECOME A MYSTERY WRITER -- Mystery writing is a rewarding and exciting career. Plus, some of the highest paid writers are mystery writers. Mary Higgins Clark, Tom Clancy, Agatha Christie, to name a few. This guide covers topics of vital importance and practical tools for would-be Mystery Writers. (Ghost Writer)
- BECOME A ROMANCE WRITER -- You can have a profitable career working at home writing stories that touch people's hearts. Before you approach an editor, there is a lot of information you need to know. Like the different types of romance novels, how to quickly advance your writing career, styles, characters, and much more. (Romance Writer article)
- BECOME A PUBLISHED WRITER -- A fortunate few writers can become bestselling authors earning millions of dollars a year from their writing. However, it is possible to enjoy success as a published writer in many other ways. This guide will show you how.
- BECOME A SCREENWRITER -- Would you like to get paid to write movie scripts? Movies are one of America's favorite pastimes, so there's a constant need for Good movie scripts (or screenplays). Screenwriters develop the stunts, create alien worlds, decide how lovers meet, add the punch lines that leave us rolling in our chairs. This guide will help you discover how you can get started and succeed as a screenwriter.
- BECOME A SONGWRITER -- Discover how you can get started and succeed in the exciting career of professional songwriting. This guide focuses on marketing your songs and covers topics of vital importance to anyone who wants to become a published songwriter, like finding recording artists who are looking for songs, and much more.
- BECOME A TECHNICAL WRITER -- Very rewarding and high paying job. You could get paid to write how-to books. Use your writing talents to help people understand how to do something. As a full-time or freelance technical writer, you will write instructions to help people use a product or service.
- BECOME A TRAVEL WRITER -- You could get paid to see the world, stay in luxury hotels, experience exciting adventures, eat fabulous foods, and view some of the most intriguing and incredible signts. Combine your love of travel and writing to earn a living, and enjoy a life others only dream about. (Travel Writer guide sample)